Wednesday, October 8, 2008

When Nature Calls...

So all who know me well, know that I have been attempting to potty train Xavier off and on since he was two. I'd try for a day or two and get so frustrated (and tired of cleaning up pee) that I'd just give in and put him back in diapers. Then he turned three and I knew that it HAD to be done. He had a week off of school (spud harvest week) and Q was taking time off work, so it was the perfect time to make another go at it. I stayed home for FIVE days straight getting NOTHING else accomplished. I stayed right by his side and put him on the potty every 30 minutes or so. After the third day he finally got the hang of it. He has had a few accidents, but today he mastered peeing while standing up AND using public restrooms-both huge benchmarks in my opinion.

These pictures are from last weekend while we were on our way to Idaho Falls. He said he needed to pee, so we quickly found a spot to pull over.
We brought this little potty chair with us everywhere we went that weekend. Including the mall and church parking lot.

This house just happened to be next to our pit stop. I've always wanted to pull over and take a picture of it, but never had a reason to.

Here I am...his cheerleader in all things.


He gets REALLY proud when we praise him for going. He says, "Yeah, I AM a big boy and I'm so cool!"

I truly thought that there was a possibility that my son would be THAT kid in second grade who changes his own diaper. He just wasn't very interested in being potty trained. He told me over and over that he didn't like underwear, that diapers were his BEST FRIEND, and that Deacon wears little ones and he wears big ones. So if you're feeling discouraged...keep trying...it will happen! I am just SO excited that I don't have to change a single THREE year old diaper ever again!

8 comments:

Jill said...

Okay, you are my inspiration! Landon will be 3 in December and I just keep thinking, I have to get it done!!! And I like you am too frustrated and overwhelmed to do it. But our trip to Disney was the excuse to wait. Now that it's over, I guess it's time to begin. Joy of joys! Keep me in your thoughts. :)

Oh, and your pirate party was seriously the cutest thing ever. Landon loves pirates-I may have to steal it from you. The shirt and onesie were to die for! You are one talented girl.

Nicole Stucki said...

Oh good for you Melissa! Isn't it so great when they can go to the bathroom by themselves! Taylor doesn't even tell me that she has to go anymore she just does it by herself then tells me later. You should come to our halloween party! It would be fun to have you there.

Unknown said...

OHHHH YAY!!!! That is so awesome. I thought he would figure it out, and you will still have accidents, but once they figure it out its all DOWNHILL from there. Hewitt was fine after he figured out the peein', it was the poos that he had a hard time with, I think because he wasn't sure how to time it, he was always too late, OR just scared for some reason. BUT after about 3 weeks of being pee-trained, he FINALLY figured out the other half of it all. THANK GOODNESS!!!! But, everything you did, is EXACTLY what I did, took the potty everywhere for those few days, his potty training was #1 and we cheered and hugged and high-fived it everytime.

ANYWAY- the binky thing is done, and he hasn't asked for it or talked about it for like a week or so. YAY! Thanks to you!

Hayley Nelson Potter said...

Good job on the potty training. Isnt it so nice. I cant believe I have not changed a diaper in over 4months. 3 MONTHS, are you kidding me?!?! Bob is leaving hunting for a few days in the next couple weeks, we should meet up get a hotel and let the kids play. Your little boys have perfect little faces BTW, they are just so good looking. Oh what is your husband doing there? Talk to ya soon.

Jennifer Shippen said...

I love it! Isn't it great the lengths you go to teach your kids. Brynlee would rather make herself sick than pee on the side of the road!! We need to get together again before we all get snowed in for the winter!! :)

Afton said...

yay Xavier... Tell him that Jaxon is so proud of him.

Requel said...

That's awesome! Hey, when you gotta go you gotta go!

The Keetch Family said...

is it possible that x looks older than the last time i saw him a couple weeks ago??? we are so proud of you x man! can't wait to see you as optomis prime!