Monday, September 20, 2010

Glory days

My best friend Afton came to visit me right before we moved to Texas.  Finally!  I don't know why she needed so much coaxing to leave the mountains for the beach, but I'm so glad she ended up making the trip,,,even if it was just in the nick of time.  Afton and I have been friends for almost 15 years.  That's a really long time to stay in touch with a person that you aren't related to!  We had three fun years living down the street from each other in Idaho and I wish I could pack her and her crew around with us to all the different places we've lived since then.  It's always a good time when Aft and I get together.  Ten years ago we were begging Afton's Dad to buy us new bikinis at the swap meet so we had something new to wear on MTV Jams.  Tyrese was hosting and we had to impress.

Afton, remember how freezing cold it was when we showed up for our 7 AM casting call and we were THEE only white girls there?  Remember how Lil Wayne wanted to hang out with us after and I thought he was for sure the scariest person I had ever seen?  I remember asking you why all his teeth were gold and had diamonds in them and you told me it was a rapper thing.  Remember how Bernadette gave his crew her cell phone number and they called us like 12 times that night?  I'm so glad we had the good sense (for once) not to call them back.  Remember how I won that contest and I yelled out the answer "BENTLEY" and danced around like a fool.  Pretty sure that video is going to turn up one day and we are going to die of embarrassment.  We were crazy.  And you ask me why I'm scared to have a girl. 

Now, we're Mom's with giant beach bags packed with snacks and sunscreen, huge wagons full of beach toys and four kids trailing behind us.  Oh how times have changed. 


After a long day at the beach we snagged a babysitter for our little mongrels and went out to a fancy dinner in Manhattan Beach.  Our eyes were bigger than our stomachs and we ordered way too much food.  It was all so good though and it was just fun to catch up and talk. 
Did I mention the food?  So good.
Thanks for making the trip Aft.  I know it wasn't easy...driving alone from Victor to Salt Lake, staying in a hotel, waking up early for your flight....I know how hard that is to do by yourself with two kids. It was so fun to have you at the boy's birthday party...(pictures to come).  Can't wait for us to be old ladies sitting on a beach someday reminiscing about when we were young moms.  These are our true glory days!  Love you!

7 comments:

jasonandlizaruys said...

Fun! I'm so glad you guys are so close still. There's nothing better than a life-long friend who knows you in and out. Good luck in Houston Melissa. We loved it while we were there for the short time we were. It's a fun and crazy different city. The best part about it is the Blue Bell ice cream. Oh, it's to die for.

MediocreMama said...

I don't know Eliza but she is right about Blue Bell. Try it with caution...the summer we spent in Dallas it was part of dinner every night. Mmmmmmmmm.

Glad you got to hang out with your buddy before moving...Texas feels so far away.

Wilder Family said...

Looks like tons of fun! Good luck in Houston Melissa! I'm so sad that you won't be in California next summer :(

the reilly's said...

You are the cutest person. I love looking at your blog. I hope all is well in TX if you have already gone. Glad you could spend time with Afton. Looks like it was so much fun. I loved reading all your loves about Q. It totally made me think of all the reasons I love Danny and there are a lot of similarities. Glad you have such a great husband.

Hayley Nelson Potter said...

That so awesome! Reminds me of Laura and I. Look at you gorgeous mammas:)

Afton said...

I wish we could do it all over again. I love hanging with with and the boys. Thanks again for showing us such a fun time.

Courtney said...

Love your swimsuit. So cute!