Once again I am posting late, but I just got these pictures from my sister in law so here they are. I love the Fourth of July. It really is one of my favorite holidays. I love the heat, the fireworks, the food, the pool, I love it all. This year the Fourth started early for us. Never in a million years would I have thought that I would be waking up at 6:00am on a holiday to run a race. That is so out of character for me. I've never ran a race before, but my sister in law asked me to do a 5K with her and I thought "Sure, why not?" If you know me at all, you are aware that I hate pointless running. I've always been athletic and in soccer I was one of the fastest girls on my team, but I have never understood people who run just to run. It really is pure torture for me. And don't even get me started on people who run marathons on a regular basis. You make me sick and you need help. If your toenails are falling off, it's probably a sign that you should STOP RUNNING!!! Anyway, I know it's not a marathon but a 5K for me might as well have been.
Kim and me at the starting point
Kim and me at the starting point
Me with the fam after the race.
I beat my goal time, so I was happy. I loved how there were random strangers cheering me on along the sidelines.
Xavier was really proud to see me cross the finish line. He was also getting pretty excited about running his own race.
Me and Deaks. He was such a good boy all morning. He was stuck in his stroller the entire time and he never complained, just waived his little flag.
Xavier, having a quiet moment before his big race. I love the curls on the back of his hair. I can't bare to cut them off so he's looking pretty shaggy these days.
The kids all ran races in their age group. X was in the 4-5 group. We fibbed on his application and told them he was 4. I was a little nervous someone would ask him his age. He's quick to tell strangers when his birthday is, so we were lucky no one asked.
After the race we all went home and took naps. Well, the boys napped while Q and I layed out by the pool. When the boys woke up, we headed over to Blake and Kim's for more swimming and a BBQ. I made my Grandma Turnbull's famous strawberry cake for the occasion. Don't ask for the recipe. So sorry, but I'm not allowed to share it. It was a huge hit as always so Kim made me take a picture with it.
Later that night we watched three different firework shows on the edge of a cliff. It was a little stressful keeping Deacon distracted, but once the show started he was mesmerized.

I am so grateful to live in this great country where we can all enjoy the freedoms that so many others are denied. Hope you all had a fun fourth of July. I have to say that I am tempted to run a 10K next. Am I becoming one of THOSE people???
9 comments:
Training for the Moab half marathon in October starts Monday...we could be running buddies via the worldwide web.
I remember in college when the internet was pretty new (to me at least) and Q would always refer to the worldwide web. Funny, that just came back to me.
I hope you become one of THOSE people and we can run races in amazing locations. Great excuse to travel...
Oh my heck you are the cutest mom. Seriously. You are so pretty. Your husband is a lucky guy:)
I am so proud of you and X man. I hope you DO become one of "those" people. What a fun 4th of July you guys had. I got choked up seeing the boys holding their flags. We truly are blessed to live in this country and looks like you guys had a fabulous 4th. It was great spending time with you in sunny California. I miss you guys already. Love, Mom
I know right? I get stressed out at times, but I am really a schedule person and so my kids have been super easy. Including this 3d little guy. He is amazingly easy, Thank goodness! But you'll be able to do 3. My philosophy is: get em all here and be done while I am young. I don't know how mom's do it when they are 35 when I have a hard time at 25. So I got one more and I am done! Atleast I think. I do have so much fun with them. I dunno what I would do without family and friends around to help me out while BRandon works though.
I always show Brandon your blog and show him how cute you and your family is.
ONe of my boys used to be obsessed with Buzz too. They have the cutest stuff at the disney store right now, a BUzz, a Woody, a Horse, The cowgirl, everytime we go they beg to get all the toy story stuff.
Really you just make a 5K look like nothing, i dont think there is any way i could make it to that finish line, good job! I love the pictures of Xavier running, it is to die for.
Way to go Melissa...and you still look like a supermodel after your race! I will never run with you :) I haven't talked you in forever. Glad you guys are doing good and loving California. I love Xaviers little curls too...I wouldn't want to cut them off either.
Yay! Nice job Miss...who would have thought! I think you should go for a 1/2 marathon..you could totally do it. I have NEVER seen anything cuter than Xavier stretching and running. Hysterical and so darling. I miss your boys and you...I am so mad that you aren't coming. Hey..I am so impressed by grandma T's cake. We tried to make it with grandma and it didn't look that profesh. I didn't get the memo that I couldn't share it with anyone!! I've been giving it away like crazy! ha. Miss you..
Looks like you guys had a ton of fun!
Oh, I love the pics of X man stretching! So priceless. I love his little curls too. keep growing it and see where it goes. So i may have a running buddy in the future....i like where this could go!
Post a Comment