The spots looked to me (and apparently to the doctor) like inflamed bug bites. So when I went to get him up the next morning I was really surprised at how the rash had spread.
Day Two...
So of course I took him back in to the doctor and he told me that it's most likely an allergic reaction to the antibiotics he'd been taking for his ear infection. He told me to throw away the Amoxicilan and start giving him oatmeal baths twice a day and doses of anti-histamines every 6 hours. I am disturbed that he has had an allergic reaction, but I'm feeling better...thinking that at least I can do something for him. Then, this morning he wakes up and his entire face is covered in welt-like rashes. They looked like big swollen targets. This time I took him to a different doctor, just to see what they thought it could be.
So on my third office visit, three different doctors came in to take a look at the rash. The third doctor was the head of the ER. He took one look at it and said it was Erythema Multiforme. He said that it could have been caused by the antibiotics, but that most likely it is just a virus (non-contagious) and this is Deacon's auto immune systems way of reacting to the virus. He said it is pretty harmless (it doesn't hurt or itch) but to watch it closely because in extreme cases it can turn into something called Stevens-Johnson Syndrome which is really scary and can sometimes be fatal. All in all it has been a roller coaster the last few days. The rash is supposed to clear up in a week or two, but they said it might come back sporadically.
There is nothing worse than having a sick baby and not being able to do anything for him. Here's a picture of him this afternoon. Of course he's smiling. He is such a sweet boy.
17 comments:
soo sad! of course he's still smiling...probably the happiest baby ever. that is so scary. not good when your dr. brings in other dr.'s to help diagnose and they still don't quite know what it is. oh, i'm so sad to look at those pics...i hope it goes away soon!
Thanks for your post, it's encouraging to know we are not the only ones that have had to go through this. It took my son about one week to completely recover...from the time of initial rash (the "bug bites"). I, too, thought it was bug bites!! Hope he has a speedy recovery! I would recommend staying away from Ibuprofen as it exacerbates the problem. He's a cutie!
Wow -can't believe he's covered with those welts and still smiling. Sounds like you've got the situation under control and just have to be patient. Let me know if there's anything you need help with this weekend. love, mom
Sad! He is such a sweet looking little baby. He always looks so happy. I hope everything works out ok. It will. Good luck!
Oh, Your little sweetheart!! I hope that it does not stay for too long!! Things like that always breaks your heart, even if they do not show any signs of heartbreak! But, on a happier note, I am so glad that you found me!! It has been way too long. Your little boys are adorable!! How fun that you have two!! Deacon and Olivia must meet! Chad (my husband)Olivia and I are coming to IF for the fourth. If you are in town let me know.
Your family is beautiful!!
love
Alexis
Oh my gosh, Melissa!!! Scary! As I was reading the blog I thought I remember a friend's baby also having an allergic reaction to antibiotics. Crazy that it could be a virus. Yuck. And you are so lucky to have such a sweet baby!!!! I hope those welts go away soon - but even they don't lesson his incredible cuteness!!! Keep us posted, please!!! And give him kisses from me.
We are so sad for the little guy but so glad they figured it out. Please keep us posted!
Oh my heart. There is nothing worse than a sick baby. I'm glad you found out what it is. OH I hope he gets better soon!
rashes and allergies are soo not fun! i'm so sorry for little deacon!! he's so dang cute even with red welts all over his face! we just found out (the hard way) that emerson is allergic to peanuts. such a bummer...so i know how you're feeling!
Poor kid! He is such a trooper and such a happy boy.
Those pictures don't even do it justice. Thank goodness hes cured and back to his cute little self again...
Poor little guy! He still looks cute as ever though. Good thing it wasnt itchy! Hope he's feeling good..haven't seen you guys for a while, we need to catch up!
Oh my, I have never heard of that. Isnt it funny the things you learn as a mom. Poor kid, I hope he is doing better. Having a sick one is SOOO hard for everyone.
hey there bell family, you know if you ever need anything at all especially when it comes to those kids, we are just up the road.
That's so sad. It's horrible when there is something wrong with your babies. Hope everything turns out ok.
I'm friends with Meegan and found your blog and read about your little boy. I've had erythema multiforme. If you need anymore info. email me at emilyharris12@hotmail.com
I'm friends with Meegan and found your blog and read about your little boy. I've had erythema multiforme. If you need anymore info. email me at emilyharris12@hotmail.com
Post a Comment