Thursday, July 15, 2010

Lake Tahoe

Every other year Q's family had a reunion with just his parent, siblings, and the grand kids. We look forward to it and so do our kids.  This year was Lake  Tahoe.  It was so beautiful there and the weather was a perfect 80 degrees all week long.  Other than on reunion years, we don't really ever get everyone together in one place, so the kids were in heaven playing with all their cousins all day.  They thought it was so cool that we all had condos next to each other and they could wake up and run from house to house all day.  

It was a pretty long drive to get there...about 9 hours.  The boys did great once again thanks to the DVD player.  How did we survive without one as kids?  I remember playing MASH with my sisters over and over.  I really thought I had a chance at living in a mansion with Tom Cruise (sick!) while driving a VW bus.  Tom would be a garbage man and I would work at the Red Lobster (that was the fanciest restaurant I knew back then.)   So I guess our kids will have no imaginations and brains that turn to mush since we not only allow but encourage watching movies for 9 hours straight.  It's really more for our sanity than anything else, right?  Xavier did take breaks to work on his Lego sticker book. 

Our view from the front seat.  Everyone was getting a little loopy towards the end of the trip.

We tried to wake up every morning to exercise.  The boys joined in while I did my video. 
Kim and I fit in a couple of morning runs.  The view of the mountains and lakes made me forget we were running.  It was so beautiful.  I didn't even realize that I miss the mountains until I went to Tahoe.  Something about it feels so homey.  It brought Q and I back to our days in Victor when we would drive around and just marvel that we lived in such a beautiful place. 


We spent a couple of days hanging out at the lake.
Elease, Jenna, and Kacey


Q's Mom, Wade, and Q's sister Brandy



We went to Virginia City for the day.  It reminded me of a mini Vegas mixed with Jackson Hole.


I wanted to buy these little cowboy hats and boots so bad!  They will need them when we live in Texas, right?  Q wasn't into them, but I thought the boys totally pulled them off. 

I was diggin my get up as well.  I could totally rock that pink hat in Houston. 
Our best outlaw faces.
They had the cutest little shops. It was really fun to stroll down the boardwalk and check everything out.

The highlight of the day was the train ride.  We rode through the hills for 35 minutes and even went through a tunnel.
Q and his Dad
The conductor was really nice (even though he looked a bit rough around the edges).  Xavier almost took a nose dive off the train while getting off and he caught him by the back of his shirt.  I felt like I should bake him cookies or offer to trim his beard. 

Kimberly and Brandy (Q's sisters)
So excited about the train...

The Gang: 12 grand kids and counting
There was the cutest little ice cream parlor/ candy shoppe.  I wish I had more pictures of it. 

R.I.P. Billy the Kid

The kids got a tour of an actual mine.  It was really cool.  I think they said that back then they mined over 80 million dollars worth of gold from that mine.  Crazy. 
At the beginning of the reunion I gave each kid a disposable camera with their name on it so they could take their own pictures through the week.  Here's Deacon at the cowboy show trying to get a good shot with his.  it was funny because he kept asking to see the picture because he's so used to digital.  Shows me how old I'm getting. 
waiting for the show to start...

I got called out of the crowed to have a shoot out with a cowboy.  I guess I shot the wrong guy, oops.
We took a hike around the lake another day.  It was beautiful.  The boys could have thrown rocks in the water all day. 







At the end of the hike, there was this under ground observatory where you could see the fish in the lake swim around. 



Another day at the lake.  The sand was super hot and not soft like beach sand.  The view was amazing though.




The Kims
Kacey, Kate, and Deacon

Elease, the little gymnast.  She is truly amazing at gymnastics. 




Deacon and Kate had fun together.

The dads took time to throw the kids in the water.
Luke wasn't too thrilled.


These boys were three peas in a pod the entire week.  Isaac is such a nice older cousin.
Q and Jenna saying farewell.  See you in two summers at Disneyland!

1 comment:

MediocreMama said...

When you said the conductor looked a little "rough around the edges" you were being a little more than generous.

Looks like so much fun!