Monday, March 24, 2008

Finger painting with a brush...

Last week we were bored and needed something fun to do inside, so I made finger paints for Xavier. I thought he'd have fun with it since he loves to draw and color. So I created the concoction (a mixture of cornstarch, water, food coloring, & a drop of dish soap) and put them in little bowls for him. He was so confused.

Xavier: What is it?
Me: They're finger paints. You stick your finger in them and paint on the paper.
(I show him how to do it)
Xavier: Ewwww...yucky! Gross, Mama!
Me: No, it's not yucky...it's fun! Try it!

So he gives it a whirl...



He's not so sure about it, so he decides to wipe it on the paper towel.



He's TWO! He's not supposed to care about getting his hands dirty, right? Well, he does care and part of me can relate. I don't think I would enjoy sticking my hands in that mess either. So I gave him a pastry brush to paint with.




Much better.

7 comments:

Courtney said...

A toddler after my own heart! Xavier - you really are the coolest. Love your painting and your "pepper" T. Only you would have a vintage T for a smock! :) Can't wait to see you this summer!! Miss - I've also heard of people using vanilla pudding w/ food coloring - that way they can also "eat" while they paint.

Nicole Stucki said...

How cute are your kids! I love the America's Next Top Baby comment! LOL. We do need to get together. Lets plan something soon. If you get bored during the week you should come down.

The Keetch Family said...

xavier looks so much like you. we always thought he was a q carbon copy, but now he looks so much like your toddler pics....even the hair:)...dang! what a fun mom you are. i send austin to school to do messy art projects....the laz mom i am. xavier is a lucky kid:)

Anonymous said...

I think my favorite part of this post is Xavier's shirt! How perfect!

And it was great catching up with you, too! After we hung up I thought, "Why don't we talk more often?!!" And did you see JH last night? Man...she's good...

Froska said...

What a great idea! Lilly also hates getting dirty.
Hey will you give me your email address again I sent my # and it got sent back. We have to hang soon!

Broadbent Family said...

You're so cute! I love how strong their little opinions are! I agree with Jess--I think Xavier looks a lot like you now--especially his little facial expressions. Did you get my comment before? Don't have your number because I switched phones...call me when you can. I hear that you are coming to stay with grandma--is that true? That would be so fun!

Jill said...

Melissa, you have the most beautiful boys. (Random stalker of the blog!) :) I haven't seen you for so long, but you are just as beautiful as ever! It's funny to see you as a mommy. Hard to believe that we're all old enough to have kids! (Remember the good old Outback days!) :)
Anyway, beautiful family!!!
Jill