Friday, December 12, 2008

What we've been up to...

Since this is the first night we've been home in almost a month, I thought I'd update the blog. It's been a crazy few weeks. We met Q in Salt Lake for Thanksgiving. It had been almost two months since we'd seen him. The boys were so excited to see him and wouldn't let him out of their sight. We packed the long weekend with as much fun as possible. Here are some highlights...

The Dinosaur Museum at Thanksgiving Point
I highly recommend checking this place out. From the moment we walked in, Xavier was enthralled with the exhibits. They have so many hands on activities that really get the little ones excited about science. We went to a 3-D dino movie which was pretty cool, but I actually wish we would've saved the $20 and just let Xavier roam the museum. He didn't want to leave and apparently it's made quite an impression on him because he's asked to go back every day since.


This is what you get when you ask our children to smile...it's a little creepy, actually.

This is his natural smile. Much better!

Here's Xavier...reading the exhibit synopsis to the other museum patrons. I don't like to brag, but I think it's amazing how he can read (and correctly pronounce) "Onchopnstis numidus" at the tender age of three. This SHOULD freak out a small child, but Xavier has had a strange obsession with sharks since before he could walk, so this was kind of a dream come true for him.

Like I said, this place was a huge hit with our kids. Worth every penny. Up next...

The Gateway Discovery Center
OK, so what can I say...this place is incredible. You can tell there are a million kids in Utah when you come across places like this. If you're ever in Salt Lake and need something to do with your kids...please do yourself a favor and avoid contracting multiple viruses at Chuck E Cheese and instead, bring your children to this haven. You won't regret it. By the way there is the nicest, most realistic Santa (maybe he's THEE Santa) right downstairs from this place. No lines, and he will snuggle your children and sing them Christmas carols. (In a non-creepy way, I promise).


The Construction Site
This crane really works! They load on the foam blocks and then crane lifts them onto the platform. Xavier was in heaven!
I'm not really sure why there were pretend dead fish at the construction site, but he thought they were pretty cool.

Milly and Xavier built those building you see there in the background. They were quite the little team.
The House
This was the cutest thing I'd ever seen. It was a real miniature house with a tiny little perfect kitchen, a dining room, a living room with a fireplace, and bookshelves filled with fun books and puzzles. Milly was the little "Mommy" making everyone dinner in the kitchen which, by the way, had a fridge that opened and more fake food inside than a two year old girl could ever dream of. It was her favorite place by far.

I think Deacon was just excited that everything was finally eye level.
I'm pretty sure he wanted to move into the bird house. It was quite the bachelor pad what with it's microfiber couches and view of the ball pit. Watch out ladies.
Jess and Haven...Isn't she the cutest baby ever??? AND she's so good!!


Wheels
They have tons of push toys, cars, tractors, and trucks for the kids to ride around.

Time to gas up!


The water exhibit
No explanation needed...kids love to getting wet.
After a day of play we took the kids upstairs to sit in a real "life flight" helicopter. They crawled around inside and pushed all the buttons. Realistic helicopter sounds blasted from the speakers, and for a second they thought they were really taking off!


After checking the Salt Lake City weather from the helicopter, the kids reported the news with real mics and cameras!

I think he may have a future in broadcasting.



The kids had so much fun at this place. If we didn't have the "Let's visit Santa!" bribe, I don't think we could have gotten them to leave without a fight.

2 comments:

Suz said...

We LOVE the Discovery Gateway! It is a life saver in the winter. I don't know what I would do without it!
What has Q been up to? I bet 2 months has felt like 2 years.

The Keetch Family said...

thanks for posting those pics! i need to steal some of them. what fun we have had these past few months....